To: Texas Board of Professional Engineers
Cc: lowery@tamu.edu
Subject: PE Licensure Question




I have a degree in Civil Engineering but am currently working as a Mechanical Engineer, I am also a registered EIT and took the Civil Engineering FE exam. I was wondering what my options for certification were. Given my degree, employment, and FE exam, do I have to take the Civil Engineering PE exam and obtain a Civil Engineering license, or can I take the Mechanical Engineering exam and obtain a license in Mechanical Engineering?



Once your Application for Licensure as a Professional Engineer is approved by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers (TBPE), you may sit for the PE Exam in any branch discipline you choose.  Because licensure is based on an applicant’s education, experience, and PE Exam history, you may, in fact, have more than one branch designation (for example, based on the situation described, Mechanical and Civil).


To clarify, TBPE licenses are not specifically designated as Civil Engineering licenses or Mechanical Engineering licenses, etc. but rather board rules specify that a licensee may only practice in a branch area for which he or she has attained competence via his or her documented experience, education, or exam history.


I trust you will contact me should you have any further questions or concerns about this matter.




Serena Lloyd
Licensing Team Lead

Texas Board of Professional Engineers